Wednesday 10 July 2013

Relationships

              I recently met a teacher who had been given the task of population count in neighborhood. He narrated to me one of his experiences about a relationship that was filled with emotions.
              He told me, " I went to one particular house and knocked the door. A man in his forties opened the door and for a few seconds just stared at me. I then introduced myself and told him my purpose for the visit, was population counting. He welcomed me into his house and offered me as seat. I sat on one of the sofas and started asking him questions related to my purpose for which he gave me all the answers in a very nice manner.

               I finished with my questionnaire and was about to leave when he told me to be seated for a minute while he fetched me a glass of juice. He told  me it had been long since anyone came to his home. Staying alone with no visitors in the house makes anyone feel lost in his own home. He continued talking and told me he lived alone there and worked for multinational company where the colleagues do not socialize much with each other. He gave a small smile and said," Parties and get-together do happen but in restaurant so there is no chance of them visiting homes." The only visitors he had were the milkman and newspaper vendor who leave milk bottles and newspaper at his door every morning. When he leaves for work a housekeeper comes and cleans his home.
   
             When he was at home he was all alone. He didn't remember when he was the last time someone came to his home in his presence. He does have a family with his parents, his lovely wife and two kids but they all live in Bengal. Certain problems restrict him from bringing his family there. He showed his finger to a photograph. with his wife and two kids resting on a side table. With heaviness in his voice he said he went to meet them every four-five months. Even when he was there he would be worried he will be lonely again. I thought this might be the same feeling flowers have when no one visits its garden. A lonely house may seem far or less like a jail to the resident. The solution in the house is experienced by the solitude in his heart. When I reached the door I looked up at him and said," I will pray to god that soon he will be able to stay with his family. I could see his wet eyes and I realized loneliness can be such unbearable for the very first time."

             The teacher continued to talk," I finished my work for the day and went home. I saw both my kids playing in the verandah when I entered. When they saw me they ran and hugged me and started telling me about their day while my wife fetched me a glass of water. While sipping the water I thought about how lucky I was. I thanked god for my family was with me. And even prayed to him for that man. Since that day onwards I fell an amazing wave of happiness flourish in my home. If I look at it in a way that man had everything in life yet nothing at all."

            When we are lonely relations and its attachments become more important and when we have everyone around us we don't realize its worth. Those who hate their family should leave them for a few hours and spend those hours with someone who lives alone to realize its worth.

            Feel lucky if there is someone waiting for you at home today. If your friends feel a party is incomplete without you, feel lucky. If you have someone to share your personal feeling with feel that you are a lucky person. If you have a shoulder to cry on, feel lucky. If someone craves to be with you, feel lucky. Look around you and think how lucky you are!!!!!! Everyone knows how to count but very few know what to count.

No comments:

Post a Comment