Sunday 17 November 2013

Wo Rat Bewdo Ke sath ( Philosophy Of Bewdes)







I have just experienced a really interesting Drink Session with my  friends in recent night out, which proved Bewdes are great  philosophers.

Since I left drinking ( no particular reason :p), I enjoy the Drink  Session seeing my friends doing  strange things after getting drunk.

I tend to have quantity of food on night out. ( Yes, a cheap date as  per my friend’s opinion)

It has struck me, though, that ‘getting drunk’ has recently become  very a la mode for Indian teenagers. This was not always the case, since this was my first  night out without getting drunk  and enjoying “Philosophy of Bewdes”.

Now I have many friends who wont meet me for a cup of tea or  coffee. They meet only to drink  whisky. 

Let me share the experience of how I got to know about Philosophy of Bewdes. Recently I have  been to house party where bottles of spirits are pilled on the table  and people drink whisky, vodka, rum, etc. ( jyada stock nai bas  yehi kuch 3-4 khambe for 6-7 people). If you say you are not drinking, you are considered lame. 

Now the party started. One friend said to me, “ Aj tera bhai gala gila karega bohot dino ke bad”.  Everyone raised their glasses full of whisky and said “cheers”. In  my group usually every peg they make is small, Philosophy behind  it is-” They want to play long inning (drink till the morning)”.

As everyone enjoying their drinks, suddenly one of my friend got a  call so he went to a gallery to  talk and after some 15 mins, when he entered he literally took  whisky bottle and started drinking  neat whisky from bottle saying, “ Are bhai shot hogaya” and ye hua and wo hua, bla bla bla. After some time he went to bathroom and  showed his “Kalakari” by painting walls of the bathroom with red  and yellow of vomit :p. Every group has some inebriated person that could show his artistic  skills in bathroom only, by drinking so hard. Philosophy behind it  is-” The speed at which you get drunk depends on how much you  drink, not what you drink. It is completely based on your stamina  and how you tolerate heavy drinking.”

After he lost his sense we tried to let him sleep, assuring him  everything will be alright tomorrow. 

And now the party came back on track, again everyone started  enjoying. Suddenly one said, “ Are kya ek dusre ko dekhake pi  rahe ho. Koi gana bina bajado. “, he put on lappy and played some sad songs. After 10-15 min one of my friend got emotional and said, “ Tujhe to pata  hena meri girlfriend ka story, she  cheated on me yar. I missed her so much, I cant live without her,”  Other friend replied, “ Are bhad  me gayi teri Girlfriend , puri utar di tune meri, She was a slut ,  forget her”. Philosophy Behind it is-” In every drink session getting emotional, talking about problems and regretting about bad  experiences is must. And many don't really bother about others      problems rather they want to  concentrate on drinking.”

Then one friend said getting hardcore drunk,” Are yar ciggi khatam hogaya he, chal bike pe jake  leke atehe”. And since i was the only person not drunk he took me with him. I said, “ Chal piche  beth jaldi jake leke atehe”. He said, “ Aj tera bhai bike chalayega,  beth piche”. I was shocked this was happening as he was the driver. My only option of survival, short of jumping out, was to stay  alert and act as backstreet driver, keeping my eyes glued on road.  He said he ‘ did this all the time’. Once we reached he was unable  to park the bike on slope. He said, “ Are mera 1st gear  ka  problem he dekhna bike upar hi nai jaraha.” I said,” Clutch to chod Chu***”. Philosophy Behind  it is- “ Not one Indian man I know who drinks and drives thinks there is anything wrong with it,  despite high profile cases of drunk drivers killing people in Mumbai being splashed over the front pages of the  papers on a regular basis.”

When we reached home safely, everyone was dancing on some  house mix. After some 2-3 hours when every one lost their senses all started sleeping. Then in morning its time to go home.  But big problem was “ The Hangover”. One friend said,” Are yaar dimag ke lage pade he.” Other  friend replied, “ Nimbu nichod ke pi panime.” Philosophy behind it is-” In our session we learnt  that black coffee and cold showers cannot cure hangovers. The only thing that can is patience – waiting for the alcohol to be removed from your system by your   liver. Nothing can be done to  speed this up. The way to avoid to getting drunk is to eat food when drinking, never drink on an  empty stomach, and put your drink down, don’t hold it, as you will drink less. And instead of  boozing, you should focus on dancing or chatting and other  activities at parties.”

Whole experience for me just to watch and observe what they were doing. Indian teenagers  currently have social problems like binge drinking(heavy episode  drinking), drunken unplanned  pregnancies, and drunken brawls are commonplace. Luckily there  is a lot of focus on dancing at  parties, and many teenagers anyway don’t drink. But many of the modern yuppie aspiring elite  teenagers do drink. A lot. With increased wealth and money, comes a lot of new social problems,  and teenagers needs to brace itself for those. The perceived need  for Adidas, nike and ipods is  already accompanied by a perceived need for imported spirits, wine and beers. There is nothing  wrong with drinking booze, provided it is done in moderation.
But the shift might soon be from worrying about slums and the homeless on the streets to needing Counselor for depression, relationship breakdowns and alcohol and drug abuse..

Morale- There are two kinds of people I don't trust: people who  don't drink and people who collect stickers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment